Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Cityscapes and Perspective

Wow, oh, WOW! I enjoyed this project SO much! And I think the kids did, too. They turned out so great. I saw this idea on Pinterest and thought I'd give it a try! I did a cityscape lesson last year, but this seemed like it would be a little easier for my 3rd and 4th graders. I showed a PPT of several different cityscapes from NYC, to Venice, to Singapore. They loved how Venice was filled with waterways! We started out by making a big X from corner to corner. The we put in the vanishing point right in the middle of the X. We then drew the horizon line through the vanishing point side to side. I told them we were making building on the right and trees on the left. I showed them step-by-step how to do the buildings, and how to use the X lines to make sure everything is lined up really well. After everything was drawn, then we traced over ALL lines with a black Sharpie marker and colored everything. Here are a few of the ones who got finished on the day I snapped photos!
 I chose to make my Artist of the Month for the last month of school the students at PES! :)
Fantastic Cityscapes 4th Grade!

 Love how artistic this girl is! And I love her Cherry Blossoms! :)

 At night during a thunderstorm! Great!

 A giant lady bug is taking over this city! Ha!

Love the shark airplane!

Love the sunset :)

These all turned out so great! The most difficult thing for the students was to draw the lines in the sidewalk horizontal! They could tell you all day what horizontal means, but they just couldn't understand how to make the sidewalk lines! Too funny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment